What to send with your child for their first full day of Kindergarten
Going off to Kindergarten has always been one of the biggest milestones for both children and their parents. Your school may send out a supply list before school, or after, but these items are almost universally required. In case you want to get prepared and you aren’t sure what you need to send your child with the very first day, here is my basic list.
- A FULL SIZE backpack. We need room for a lot of things! Small bags= squished up artwork and lost library books and lunch bags. Trust us. Full size. With your child’s name inside please.
- A pair of indoor VELCRO running shoes that will be left at school everyday. Your child should practice putting them on and taking them off independently before the first day of school. Each shoe should be labelled with your child’s name. They must be independently able to put on their outdoor play footwear as well (runners, boots, sandals)
- A full change of clothes that will be kept at school. In a large clear ziplock bag with your child’s name on it, please enclose a pair of underwear, a pair of socks, a t-shirt and a pair of pants or leggings. Each of those items need to be labelled!
- A water bottle that your child can use independently. Labelled of course!
- A big lunch bag filled with healthy morning snacks, lunch and afternoon snacks. Try to find some reusable containers your child can open on their own. These will also need to be labelled- If the container comes apart, label both the top and bottom of each one! These are my favourite containers to send to Kindergarten. I also suggest putting a little drawing or note to surprise your little one!
- Wear Comfortable Clothing every day. We play, stretch, paint, and move our bodies all day. Students tend to be more comfortable in leggings or stretch/ jogging pants. Unless your child really wants to wear jeans or fancy party clothes, please send them dressed to comfortably play and learn. If they wear a layering piece such as a hoodie or cardigan, make sure they are labelled, because they take them off EVERYWHERE!
- *Masks. At least 2 clean and labelled masks a day, with two containers or ziplock bags to store them in. One container marked clean, and one container marked dirty.
- A Note for the teacher. If your child has an allergy, medical need, custody issue, speech delay, major fear or something particular the teacher should know, send a note. Teachers are supposed to be provided with all of that important information before school starts- but sometimes we aren’t informed, the paperwork might not yet be filed, or we might not have access to your child’s information. If it is life threatening, I would even place a sticker on your child, and on their belongings like THESE.
A Mabel’s Labels savings code for you!
Mabels labels has graciously offered our readers a promo code to use if you missed their back to school sale. When you check out, use MSBEE10 for 10% off.
Back to School
I am really hoping we get to go back in person soon, in a safe way! Here is to being prepared!